I’m in the middle of another blog challenge (more like at the beginning), Linda Hill’s Just Jot It January. Yesterday’s word for that was “frozen,” and given my lack of sleep the previous two days, I just couldn’t make it happen, especially after writing my long-winded weekly summary, The Week That Was. When I woke up this morning, I had an idea: combine the word from yesterday with the list of songs for Monday’s Music Moves Me, and I had my theme for today: Songs with “frozen” in the title.
This created a problem, though; I didn’t know any songs with “frozen” in the title. So I turned to DuckDuckGo, a search engine I like better than Google because it doesn’t keep track of your searches for marketing purposes, and asked it to look for “songs with frozen in the title.” What came back, naturally enough, was a list of songs from the movie Frozen, a much-loved movie by the Disney juggernaut. Now, I have nothing against Walt Disney (who grew up in Chicago not three blocks from where I used to work) or his company, but I hadn’t seen the movie (or many Disney movies, period), and besides, a hundred entries pointing me at song lists from Frozen wasn’t going to help me.
In the end, I came up with three songs with “frozen” in the title (including the one song from the aforementioned movie that actually has the word “frozen” in the title), none of which I had heard before this morning. I needed at least two more songs for the playlist (because everyone knows a playlist has at least five songs *eyeroll*), so I decided to open the list up to songs with “freeze” in the title, and voilá!, I had my playlist. And here it is…
- Frozen – Within Temptation: Within Temptation is, as Wikipedia tells me, “a Dutch symphonic metal band founded in 1995 by vocalist Sharon den Adel and guitarist Robert Westerholt. They have always been classified by critics as gothic metal or rock, although the ‘gothic’ influence varies with each album.” They have a website and a YouTube channel, if you’d like to explore further. I thought they sounded a bit like Heart.
- Frozen – Madonna: I liked Madonna thirty years ago (my God, thirty years?) when she first started out, then she started getting a little weird for my tastes (the “Vogue” video sealed the deal for me). She still has the ability to do a good song, and this is a perfect example.
- Frozen Heart – The cast of Frozen: The one song from the movie that actually has “frozen” in the title. I understand this is the first song of the movie.
- Freeze Frame – J. Geils Band: This was the one case where I knerw the band and the song. I dig the J. Geils Band, who started out doing some excellent blues and R&B, and didn’t lose the edge when they started doing more radio (and MTV)-friendly songs.
- Freeze – T-Pain featuring Chris Brown: I don’t listen to a whole lot of hip-hop (I’m not even sure this is hip-hop), but I liked this song, so I added it to the list.
If you can think of any other songs that fit today’s theme, how about letting me know what they are in the comments?
Anyway, that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for January 4, 2016. See you next week!
Monday’s Music Moves Me is sponsored by X-Mas Dolly, Callie, Stacy, and Naila Moon (at least through December), so be sure and visit them, where you can also find the Linky for the other participants.