We were given a choice for today’s M4: we could either do songs about work and the end of summer, orwe could use the day as a freebie. I did playlists of summer songs here and here, and did a selection of songs with “work” in the title in an early Friday Five, so I’m going with the “freebie” option.
Last Friday’s 5×2 included a flash mob of swing dancing at the Denver Airport. Arlee Bird commented that he’s “a sucker for flash mobs.” Says he, “It’s a weird idea, but I guess to be expected in our age of the internet and YouTube.”
I’m with Arlee: I’m a sucker for flash mobs, especially videos of flash mobs on YouTube. Here are some of my favorites.
- Som Sabadell Flash Mob Banco Sabadell is a banking group headquartered in Sabadell, Spain. This grows from a single cellist into a more-or-less full orchestra and chorus, doing a portion of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony.
- Irish Dancing Flash Mob in Essex Aer Lingus (the flag-carrier airline of Ireland) was beginning service to Dublin from London’s Southend Airport, and used a flash mob to announce it.
- Bagpipes and Drums Flash Mob Around Christmas 2013, members of the Pacific Coast Highlanders and Gold Coast Pipe Band showed up at The Oaks shopping mall in Thousand Oaks, California and played a couple of Christmas songs, including “Jingle Bells,” “We Wish You A Merry Christmas,” “The Green Hills of Tyrol,” “When The Batlle’s O’er,” and “Scotland The Brave.” Well, not all of them are Christmas songs…
- The US Air Force Band At The Smithsonian Again during Christmas, the Air Force Band and Chorus (comprised of some very senior NCO’s, by the way) made an appearance (one at a time or so) at the National Air & Space Museum (a pretty fascinating place, by the way) and gave us “Jesu, Joy of Men’s Desiring” and “Joy To The World.”
- Ravel’s “Bolero”, amazing youngest flash mob! I can only go by the title here. The Banda Simfònia d’Algemesí (Spain) gathered in the town’s Plaça del Algemesí on February 23, 2013 and gave us this rendition.
- “Do Re Mi” Train stations tend to be large and echo-y spaces, making them perfect for flash mob activity. Here, at the Antwerp train station, members of the crowd broke out in song and brought everyone with them.
- Heathrow Airport Welcome Some international passengers disembarking from flights into Heathrow got the welcome-home of their lives from various staff at the airport…
- Mamma Mia! So, you’re sitting in the food court at a shopping mall, minding your own business, and suddenly someone’s dancing on your table… At Vila Olimpia shopping mall, I’m guessing in São Paolo, Brazil.
- Verdi’s “La Traviata” Lest you believe there’s nothing flash mob-wise for you opera fans… At De Bijenkorf department store in Amsterdam.
- “Best Flash Mob Ever” At least in the opinion of the person who posted it. I’m thinking this might be in Dubai, maybe the airport. But anyway, some great dancing in this one.
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for September 4, 2017. Have a good Labor Day!